Well after running a business in one form or another since 1994, I am attempting a re-birth of sorts by shedding as many responsibilities as possible and hitting the road… hahah alright for those of you that know me, you’ll know that this is near impossible for me… but seriously, I’m going to attempt to spend the next 6 months of my life (leading up to my 35th birthday on May 7th 2009) just having fun!
I am almost certain that this will be a bigger challenge than living a normal working life, however that is why it excites & challenges me.
so, if all goes to plan, this blog should end up having a lot of insights, many good times and possibly be a real distraction to you the reader if you happen to be sitting at work. Assuming I am having fun and genuinely feeling like the experience is making me a better person and truly recharging the batteries, my aim will be to inspire others to do the same as it will confirm my long held belief that there’s a lot more to life than a life dictated by a 9 to 5 job and 4 weeks holiday a year.
UPDATE: 8 July 2009… hmmm well my 35th birthday came and went and I am still loving life & not working. Some of the highlights SO FAR have included:
– 2 months 4WD around South East Australia
– 3 weeks surfing in Bali
– A long weekend mountain bike riding in Thredbo
– Sailing 1500 Nautical miles from Sydney to Vanuatu
– Hanging out in Manly over summer, surfing, sailing and relaxing
– Taking my mum out for a long lunch, during the week!
– Not rushing, sleeping in, reading non business books
– Thinking and NOT thinking
and there’s more to come… in terms of insights, here’s what I have worked out so far:
– I needed to do this
– I have never been busier or happier in my life
– By quiting work I feel like I have crossed some point of no return, yet I’m not 100% sure of the new destination yet.
– If you’re scared of doing something similar, it’s with good reason – it is freaking scary, but sooooo rewarding.
– As the old saying goes, you’re far more likely to regret the things that you didn’t do, than the things you did so DO it!!!